Enter the 2014 Celebrate Recovery Challenge! More information is below.
ADMH is pleased to host the 2014 Celebrate Recovery Challenge. This challenge seeks to recognize the “best” Recovery Month event held in Alabama.
National Recovery Month is held annually during the month of September. Sponsored by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Recovery Month seeks to promote the societal benefits of prevention, treatment, and recovery from mental illnesses and substance use disorders. The observance celebrates people in recovery, lauds the contributions of treatment and service providers, and promotes the message that recovery is possible. Raising awareness is a crucial component of Recovery Month throughout the nation, and organizations throughout Alabama have traditionally hosted events statewide to celebrate the observance and help promote its message.
Organizations hosting 2014 Recovery Month events are encouraged to enter the Celebrate Recovery Challenge.
- Submissions will be accepted from October 1-10.
- Submissions require a narrative and can include up to 3 pictures.
- The narrative must provide a description of the event (purpose, date/time/place, promotion, noteworthy speakers or attendees, agenda or what happened at the event, etc.) and its results (attendance, media coverage, feedback, etc.).
- The narrative should be no more than 1 page.
- Submissions should be sent to Peggy Olson in the department’s Office of
Planning & Resource Development via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submissions can also be mailed to Alabama Department of Mental Health; Office of
Planning & Resource Development; 100 North Union Street, Suite 554; Montgomery, AL 36130-1410.
- Submissions will not be accepted after 5 p.m. on October 10.
- Voting will begin Tuesday, October 14 and continue through Monday, October
- Voters will be asked to view submissions on this page and cast their vote for the “best” Recovery Month event. In this instance, the “best” event is the one that embodies the purpose of Recovery Month most by increasing awareness and decreasing stigma.
- Vote as many times as you want!
- Anyone can vote, so spread the word to friends, family, churches, youth clubs, schools, etc. to get in on the fun and vote too.
- Winner(s) will be announced in a press release distributed to media statewide and to SAMHSA headquarters.
- An announcement will be on the home page of the website from October 22 through the end of the month. The winner(s) will also have a page on the website for the next year under the Substance Abuse section. This page will highlight their win in the Celebrate Recovery Challenge and give more detailed information about the organization(s).
- The winner(s) will receive a Certificate of Recognition from Governor Robert Bentley and
have a picture taken with the Governor, ADMH Commissioner Jim Reddoch, and Associate Commissioner for the Division of Mental Health & Substance Abuse Services Dr. Beverly Bell-Shambley.
Questions about the 2014 Celebrate Recovery Challenge can be directed to ADMH’s Office of
Planning & Resource Development at 334-242-3417.